Friday, December 4, 2009

An Event That We Saw In The Waiting Room

  This has nothing really to do with me or throat cancer directly, just indirectly. Totally just what is in my mind.

  While we sat and waited to be called back today in the waiting room at UT Cancer Center we watched a lady lose it. It crossed my mind and for some reason I feel like I need to write this.

  We heard someone crying and crying out in pain and fear, not the usual thing in the waiting room. I looked across the room and noticed a lady in a motorized type scooter/wheelchair like this. I know that you have seen them in ads. The lady was heavy set, in her late 20s to mid 30s. Her husband had sat at the end of a row where she could park beside him. They looked to have little money but he had hands that looked like they worked hard.

  For whatever reason he sat facing one way but she kept on going towards the end of the room where 2 couples sat. The couple setting against the wall looked to be in their 60s, and not that you can tell by looking, neither looked sick. they may have even brought someone, who knows. They were dressed well. In the center sat another older couple in the late 60s-70s. they were dressed middle class yet the laddie's red hat looked out of an era long past, yet very new looking. They lady stopped her (we'll call it a buggy) between her husband and the 2 couples setting facing each other.

  You could tell by her voice and her actions that she was frantic. She hurt and was scared. She explained that she had breast cancer and that they had done surgery on her, explaining what was done (I didn't listen too well on the details) and trying not to stare. I looked to my wife and said she was pitiful and how bad I felt for her, she agreed. As I looked around the room I noticed that pretty much everybody was doing the same. Her husband had his head bowed, but rather than in shame, with a look of being lost, beaten down, and so, so sad. The man from the couple to her left was called back, he walked around her and attempted a look of understanding.

  The couple to the right looked her eye to eye, but were at a loss for words. Perhaps we all were. Perhaps we all knew her pain and fears all too well, and those there with someone who is battling knew her husband's look. The lady to the left, now by herself looked to the lady and listened. She softly asked, "Are you a Christian?" The frantic lady suddenly stopped, hesitated at bit and thought. She quietly said yes. The lady to her left outstretched her hand to the frantic lady. The frantic lady slowly pulled her buggy closer and stretched out her hand to the older lady, and they held hands. The older lady began to softly pray and the frantic lady bowed her head and became calm. Again, I didn't listen to the details as they prayed. When it was over the frantic lady asked the older lady about the pain, sickness and facts of what was still ahead of her. At this time I'm wondering what would happen if the older lady answered with the truth... and if she would. She told the lady that she would be very sick and in a lot of pain, but that it was ok, she would get through it. She told her that and other words of encouragement. The once frantic lady was calmed and spoke and was no longer excited but rather calm, even though it was not what she wanted to hear.

  Now your probably wondering what this has to do with throat cancer, my case, or even related to anything. Well, here it is. The lady called out her fears in an emotional and showed it all physically. What she exhibited is what is taking place inside of all of us when we fight a hard battle in an unknown battleground against an enemy that we can't see. We see the effects, we feel them and the cavalry that rides in to save the day shooting blindly. It is like being in a battle, calling in an air strike on the enemy, they bring nukes that do more damage, often killing both sides. She verbally described all our fears. Then she discovered our strength. The older lady showed her compassion, love, kindness, and truth. The biggest thing she showed her, and it was apparently conveyed without words... faith. That all leads up to a big word... HOPE. She showed her that she is not alone.


4 comments:

KimberFNP said...

Anthony, this post brought the tears...maybe I'm tired or maybe it struck a nerve after the day I had at work, trying to make a few people feel a little better. I had one with cancer who said to me, "I just don't understand why God would let someone suffer like this." I did not and will not ever have a good answer for that except to tell him I will do what I can to help control his pain and I will pray for him. He seemed to appreciate that more than anything else I had said so far. I've had him on my mind today, and you as well. I hope you wake up to a good day. HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT.
Kim

anthony7 said...

Kimber,

That is the best you can offer, nothing better could ever said or done. We never really know why these things happen and sometimes we never do. I pray that he will discover that he is not alone, God is always there, and He places good people such as you there.
You have a good heart, and that is a blessing not only for you but all you come into contact with as well. He is scared and feels alone and with what you said it told him that he is not alone. He needs the reassurance that he is not the only one and that God cares.

I think you gave him that. From time to time though you may have to remind him. It is so hard to see the beauty of the trees when your lost in the forest. I will remember him in my prayers tonight.
God Bless,
Anthony

Rachel and Pia's Cottage said...

Anthony,
These are the stories you should continue to tell, including the ones that pertain to you. :o) Wonderful. Have finally read the first 3 months of your blog.....wow! You have been through so much....bless you.
Fondly, Lori

anthony7 said...

Thank you Lori. You've read what I tried to read but just can't bring myself to read. It was so rough back then compared to now. This one is where one of my friends that is tough said he cried and stopped reading it for a long time. I gotta say though, we have seen a rough time but never have we walked it alone. God Bless, Anthony