Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December 1 Part 2

  Now to get this arm back. Denise had to tie my shoes this morning as I couldn't get my arm enough in use to tie them. Me & Charlie stopped at Hardees and ate this morning on the way down.     

  I met with the Radiologist (Dr Green) today after the treatment.  Considering the cocktail to keep me from freaking out, I did quite well remembering to ask the questions. Green seemed to be sincere, as most of the ones I have encountered are. They take their time and answer questions. We discussed the shoulder and he thought that the radiation has no part in the pain and didn't need shielding. Just in case I thought I would remind him that I have 2 stints in my heart, lol. There is also the possibility of it being C5 & 6 in my neck and referred pain, especially since my left hand is numb.

  He was pleased with the progress. I asked him about the chunks of tan looking meat that occasionally come up, they turn black after a while. He wasn't sure if it is scab, clot, or tumor. I told him the pain associated with them when they break free, then again I breathe better each time they come loose. I guess it's a trade off. We discussed the fatigue that seems to go along with all of this. He seems concerned for depression, another side effect but at the same time shocked that I seem to take it well. I told him the secret is that no moment is forever on earth, be it good or bad, no moment lasts forever. So we cherish the good ones and tolerate and learn from the bad ones. If it weren't for bad moments, we would not appreciate the good ones.   

  He suggested a humidifier for the dryness, I was one up on him on that one, already do that. Denise makes me keep my lips moist, now if that would just work with the mouth and throat. Oddly enough I can still drink Coke, little burn but not bad.  Green said this was number 10. Unless something changes that only leaves 20 more. I can feel the burning inside now when they do it. Not  really pain, just burning. It seemed to hit at different angles from the best I could tell. Afterward I was hoarse and had a course voice but it is getting better now in the evening. It once again feels like there is a knot that things have to get past before they go down, but not as bad as it was when we first started. Dr Green also mentioned my weight, I'm at 215 now. I reminded him that I had gained intentionally just for this. In 2005, my first chemo, I went from 231 to 193 in about 3 weeks so I knew what was coming.  

  We meet with Panella Friday since he has a conference to go to next week. I'm hoping the Lortab will suffice until then but they are going fast at 2-3 at a time every few hours. Apparently I graduate to a more potent drug again, Enocet was the last step up, but it can't be called in. Next Wednesday is Chemo again, number 4 and I pray the last one. I'm just not sure if I could do anymore of them or even this one for that matter. Each one seems to take longer and longer to recuperate from. I dread the long trips the first few days afterward, nothing like riding with a bucket between your legs, lol. Of course we do have one of those hangers that gets us in the preferred parking places, lol. I got a temporary one because I know this isn't going to be forever and I only use it when I have to. There are people a lot worse off than I am that need those special places to park.

  Hopefully this will be an event-less night. 
 

No comments: