Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Follow-up with Dr Panella

Me and Denise went to my follow-up with Dr Panella today. It went well and Panella was more like the first visits when I went to see him. He explained that he wanted the swelling, redness, and irritation to be down before I have the CAT Scan done and that is the reason that he has prolonged having it ran. Two of the three are gone now, only the swelling remains. The date is now just before the next visit with Panella in August for the CAT Scan.

He also discussed the pain patch which we are getting rid of... thank God. I'm sure I'll feel more pain and that part I could do without but at the same time I still retain fear of the patch and getting hooked on anything. Kim had given me advice on how she steps people down and I relayed it to Panella which liked the idea. It is so much safer doing it the way she said. We will step down to 12.5 mg from the current 25 mg then stop. I know I will probably still need some pain meds but I hope to be able to tolerate the pain. I use to have a high threshold to pain and pray I still do. We shall see. He said that I should have more energy and stamina once I'm off these patches. I'd take some pain to have that, definitely a good swap.

Panella didn't mention my blood work, I wish he had, but Denise said if anything was wrong he would have mentioned it. All the doctors I have are straight forward and I thank God for them being that way. He listed to my chest and felt my throat and apparently it was ok. We discussed the HBOT and I described it to him, he was amazed. Usually Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is done in a tube where you lay down by yourself in what looks like a coffin. This on hold 10 people, an EMT is with you and you set in a comfortable chair while watching a movie. I'm hoping and praying that Panella will remember this and refer people to Dr Downing at St Mary's. With all the radiation damaged people, burn people, and diabetes people, we don't need to lose such a wonderful machine.

Today has been a painful day, my throat is killing me. Yesterday and today I took additional pain medication for the overrun of pain. This is the second day of it. I think I messed it up while on vacation but it will straighten out. The swelling is such that it has made taking the pills all but impossible, drinking and eating is that way too. Maybe HBOT will help that out tomorrow. My neuropathy rages tonight and today as well. He wasn't sure how long that would last to the point of being debilitating but he hopes no longer than a year.

I couldn't help but stop in and say hi to the ladies at the Chemo Hut. They are wonderful. Only three were there but I got three hugs from them. It occurred to me while I was there how much God has blessed me. From Mike who draws my blood, the ladies in the Chemo Hut, Panella's personal nurse, Ruth, Doctors Panella, Rathfoot, Green, Downing, John, Chad, Gary, Sidney Boyd. Then the special people that have came in and also made a difference like Kim (I'll still gladly be your 1st patient if you even go out on your own)and Dr Huntsinger who stepped in and helped me once while Panella was out. My friends that have been the like Sally whom I talk with every night. She fights a battle with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma herself. Sal who I usually talk with who fights his cancer battle. My wife and family who have been with me through thick and thick. Charlie who has and still does drive me to my treatments, he never once has complained about doing it. They both are so much support and great people. All my friends and family that have visited me and the churches that have had me on their prayer lists. Even the radio station I listen to has been there, 106.9 - The Light. I have been truly blessed. God has allowed me to reside in the company of and lean on the greatest people on earth. In no way am I deserving of such great and awesome company. I humbly bow my head many nights and thank Him for all of the people who have touched my life. Even if the CAT Scan shows I've failed... I've won. In no way would I have ever made it this far without all of them and especially God and Jesus.

  In a few short months from this to where I am today. I am truly blessed.

No comments: