Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Meeting the Radiologist

  We first met Dr Green (I say we because my wife was with me). He felt around my throat and talked. He spent time talking to us, answering questions and telling us what and how things would be done. He was open and honest, sparing no details about the treatment. He didn't sugar coat it, just came out with it, and I respected him for that.

  He then opened up what looked almost like an attache case which contained a scope like Dr Rathfoot has used to go through my nose and down into my throat. I asked if he was going to numb me first and his reply was that he had done many of these and was very good at it, so he did not see the need for numbing. He said it would be minor discomfort and should there be pain, it would be brief and little. My wife watched as she said she saw my feet crunch up in my shoes, my arms squeeze the table I was setting on, and the look in my eyes and on my face... there was pain, and plenty of it.

  Play special attention to this part if you are a doctor. The quickest way to show a cold unfeeling heart is to purposely inflict pain needlessly. That is the quickest way to lose confidence of the patient and the quickest way to drive a wedge between the trust they have in you. That is not being a caregiver and while yes the person is dependent upon a doctor, the key word is a doctor, not this doctor. A distrust is formed after that and it is hard to overcome. True, there are tests that are painful, there are ones that shouldn't be, this one shouldn't have been.

  Needless to say, the first meeting didn't go too well. Shame though... it could have.      

No comments: